Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sewing Project Update

Well it's been a month since I set out on my two month journey to sew two pillows and two dresses. I am happy to report that the two pillows are done. Super easy to do. All I did was measure a little wider than the pillows I was covering, fold the edges inside, iron and then sew around the outside. Done! Here's the result.

The dresses on the other hand have proven to be a little more difficult. I was going to make my own patterns (way more daunting than I had anticipated), but thankfully my mom had some old patterns that I think will work for at least the base of each dress.
This will be the base of the origially red dress that will be the flowery material. The neckline will be different but the shape is similar. 

This will be the plaid material dress. I need this pattern for the top part but the bottom will be straight instead of the traditional flare. 

Well that's the update. I'm not confident I will have both dresses done but I'm hopefully I can at least get one finished. That's all for now. The bear is ready for a diaper change and a nap!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Homemade Wipes Solution

So in the last leg of total cloth diapering is using cloth wipes. I had purchased FuzziBunz double sided cloth wipes but had not been brave enough to actually make the jump from disposable to cloth wipes. I finally decided it was time and thought it would be wise to try them out while I still had disposable wipes on hand just in case.
Since I already had the wipes the next step was to find a recipe for a solution. I searched the web and my favorite DIY blog and eventually landed on this website. I liked it because of all the different recipes it had to offer. I ended up adjusting the basic wipes solution a little to my own liking.
Basic Wipes Solution:
  • 1 Tbs. Liquid Castile Soap (I used Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby-Mild)
  • 3 Drops Apricot Oil (Burt's Baby Bees)
  • 2 c. water (or more as needed)
I measured the water then added the oil then soap. I did it in this order to avoid suds. Then just pour over wipes. You can also keep in a spray bottle and spray each wipe as you need it, but since I have a wiggly bear I opted to have them pre-moistened. The only disadvantage is that I have to keep a close eye on them to make sure the wipes don't get musty or mildew. So I'm just checking it daily. I only put in 10 wipes at a time which should last about 2 days or less.

I put mine in an old wipes container that has a hole for the wipes to continuously feed through, but with cloth wipes I was concerned I would have to be digging in the hole just to get the next wipe. Being the problem solving wizard that I am, I folded the wipes so that they interconnect and as each wipe is pulled out the next one is partially pulled through and ready for the next time I need it. It takes a little more time on the front end but is well worth it when the little man is wiggling around and I need a wipe ready.

So there you go. I've finally fully embraced the world of cloth diapering!! I hope to also make a few of my own wipes from flannel or plain cotton.