Vintage

Monday, April 4, 2011

Simply Applesauce

Another day another new homemade recipe. I've been wanting to make my own applesauce for a while and decided today was the day.

4 lbs. apples, cored and quartered (I used some older apples that were too soft for eating or pies)
1 c. water
Cinnamon to taste
Sugar to taste (optional)

Put apples and water in a large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes until very tender, stirring a few times.
Press apples through a food mill. Return pulp to kettle. Stir in sugar if desired. Add additional 1/2-1 cup water for desired consistency if needed. Boil. Remove from heat.


I chose not to add sugar simply because I like my applesauce a little more tart. Also if using overripe apples, you shouldn't need much sugar. The best part about this recipe is that you can use it for baby food, just leave out the cinnamon and sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Been wanting to make hommade applesauce for a while. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete