- 1 package (20 ounces) 15-bean soup mix
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
Drain and rinse beans. Return to pan; add remaining water and everything but the tomatoes and green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beans are almost tender. Remove ham bone. Remove as much meat as you can and return meat to pot.
Add tomatoes and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with cornbread. Yum! Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Word to the wise, I let the beans sit in the water too long and the lentils pretty much fell apart. Still tasted good, but a little mushy.