Vintage

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The first of many...

And so begins my blog. The idea is that I will share not only a little bit about my life in hopes of keeping family and friends who are far away posted on important happenings in the Heathcote household but also my attempts at cooking and crafting. I have been greatly inspired by one particular blog and hope that I am able to perhaps pass on the same inspiration. If not at least I will have had fun doing it.

For a while I've been wanting to make more things myself as opposed to buying it prepared. So on Monday I ventured to Sam's to stock up on a few bulk items to get started on my homemade extravaganza and first attempt at freezer meals. My first attempt was to make my own granola and my own hummus. I used the recipes from the blog mentioned above and have to say they both turned out great. I had the ingredients for the granola so that was easy, but I had to search a while for the chickpeas for the hummus. After searching the aisles at the grocery store and finally ended up at the organic foods store. Once I found the dried version I read on the package that chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans, something I could have found in the Hispanic foods section at the grocery store for a lot less than I paid at Olde Fashioned Foods Market.

The hummus and granola turned out great and we've been snacking on both. As for the freezer meals, today with the help of my mom I managed to make spaghetti sauce, lasagna, and meatballs. My goal for tomorrow is to finish my sauce for porcupine meatballs and make taco soup. This will provide me with several meals that I can just grab out of the freezer and make for those days that my little man demands all my time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer! One thing that really helped me when the kids were little was having a dinner menu for 6 weeks, then I would just repeat. I put in stuff like a roast with later in the week stew, I also put things like Pancakes for dinner. I won't always eat things on the day scheduled but I would have the food on hand for the week and could be flexiable. The freezer meals are a great idea too. Enjoy your little Henry he is so cute I love seeing his pictures on facebook!from: Michelle's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Thanks for the shout out. I can't wait to check out all your great ideas! I'm now a follower! Love the blog name, by the way. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete